Professor, Urban Trees & Landscape Plants
University of Florida Environmental Horticulture Dept.
100 Mehrhof Hall, PO Box 110675
Gainesville FL 32611-0675
Phone: (352) 273-4523
Fax: (352) 392-1314
- Ph.D. in Plant Pathology (Rutgers Univ.), 1980
- M.S. in Plant Pathology (Rutgers Univ.), 1978
- B.Sci. in Forestry (Rutgers Univ.), 1975
Ed Gilman has a 50% research: 50% extension teaching assignment and teaches an arboriculture class. He works with arborists, consultants, landscape contractors, tree nursery operators, urban foresters, planners, landscape architects and others engaged in tree selection, growing, planting and management issues. Research includes irrigation, fertilization, roots, and other tree transplant and after-care techniques and a recent focus on tree response to pruning. Our team provides service to the industry and to citizens in Florida by incorporating this and other research-based information into educational programs, demonstration sites, publications, Web site, and software for our target audiences.
Details of Some Current Research Interests: Research is directed toward tree and shrub production practices and their impact on the rate of establishment in the landscape. Production practices include pruning strategies, irrigation amount and frequency, fertilizer placement and source and rate, root pruning of field-grown trees, and non-traditional container shapes and practices. Major focuses include root morphology in response to the environment, root growth and water stress after planting, and evaluation and modeling of the factors that influence rate of tree establishment in the landscape. The impact of landscape tree pruning on tree biology and response is a growing part of my research and education programs since the late 1990s.
Selected Research Publications
- Black, R. J. and E. F. Gilman, 2004. Landscape plants for the gulf and south atlantic coasts. University Press of Florida, Gainesville, Florida. 230 pp.
- Gilman, E. F. 2002. Illustrated guide to pruning, second edition. Delmar publishers, Albany, NY. 330 pp.
- Gilman, E. F. 1997. Trees for urban and suburban landscapes. Delmar Publishers, Albany, NY. 662 pp.
- Gilman, E. F. and R. J. Black. 1999. Your Florida guide to shrubs. University Press of Florida, Gainesville, FL. 116 pp.
- Gilman, E. F. and S. Lilly. 2002. Best management practices: Tree pruning. International Society of Arboriculture, Champaign, IL. 35 pp.
- Gilman, E. F. 1996. Florida Plant Guide. Betrock Publishers, Davie, FL. 163 pp.
- Black, R. J. and E. F. Gilman. 1997. Your Florida guide to bedding plants. University Press of Florida, Gainesville, FL. 71 pp.