Professor and Extension Specialist, Floriculture
Environmental Horticulture Dept.
University of Florida
2549 Fifield Hall, PO Box 110670
Gainesville FL 32611-0670
Phone: (352) 273-4581
Fax: (352) 392-3870
Curriculum Vitae (39KB pdf)
- Ph.D. in Horticulture (Michigan State Univ.), 1995
M.Appl.Sci. in Resource Mgmt. (Lincoln Univ., New Zealand), 1988
- B.Sci. in Botany (Univ. of Auckland, New Zealand), 1985
- 2006-curr. Professor and Extension Specialist, Univ. of Florida
- 1996-2006, Associate Professor and Extension Specialist, Univ. of New Hampshire
- 1995-1996, Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Univ. of California at Davis
- 1991-1992, Visiting Scholar, Michigan State University
- 1989-1991, Research Associate, Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, New Zealand
- Research-based information for greenhouse floriculture focused on production, propagation and shipping of plugs and cuttings.
- Water sanitation and quality with the Water Education Alliance for Horticulture to minimize runoff and disease-related issues.
Applied research for the commercial greenhouse industry. The Floriculture Research Alliance is a university-industry consortium for applied research on production, propagation, and shipping of young plant material. We have an active program in managing substrate-pH and quality control for growing substrates. Much of our research is packaged in computer decision-support systems for grower management. We also undertake research on water sanitation and quality to help growers capture and reuse irrgation runoff.
My recent graduate students and trainee staff are:
- Dustin Meador (Ph.D.): Evaluating treatment systems for biological water quality in ornamental plant production
- Rosa Raudales (Ph.D.): Treatment technologies to control pathogens in irrigation water
- Ryan Dickson and Javier Lopez: Young plant manufacturing for seedling plugs and liners
- Jinsheng Huang (Post-doctoral Research Scientist): Quality control procedures for container substrates, and management of substrate-pH