Dr. Paul Fisher
Professor and Extension Specialist / Floriculture
Dr. Fisher manages two university/industry groups to undertake applied research and grower training for greenhouse floriculture production and water conservation. Floriculture is a globally connected network with flow of plant material, inputs, and diseases/pests. We collaborate with other UF researchers, as well as universities and companies around the U.S. and overseas.
We collaborate in multi-state projects on applied research for the commercial greenhouse industry.
The Floriculture Research Alliance is a university-industry consortium for applied research on production, propagation, and shipping of floriculture crops. Our focus areas are root zone management (growing media, fertilizer, water), production training, and economics.
The Clean Water3 research program focuses on water sanitation and quality to help growers capture and reuse irrigation runoff.
I supervise graduate and undergraduate students in applied research projects.
- Fernanda Trientini (MS, simplified fertilizer supply for small-scale hydroponics)
- Student research on indoor propagation of transplants, hydroponics, water treatment, and labor efficiency
- I guest lecture in courses such as nutrition for horticulture crops, and hydroponics
I lead Greenhouse Training Online, a series of English/Spanish online professional development short courses for growers.
We are developing mobile-accessible grower training and calculators in BackPocketGrower.org to help growers to improve production efficiency with information technology.
Water conservation, sanitation and quality is the focus of Clean WateR3 to minimize runoff and disease-related issues.
University of Florida
2549 Fifield Hall
PO Box 110670
Gainesville FL 32611-0670
- Ph.D. in Horticulture (Michigan State Univ.), 1995
- M.Appl.Sci. in Resource Mgmt. (Lincoln Univ., New Zealand), 1988
- B.Sci. in Botany (Univ. of Auckland, New Zealand), 1985
RECENT SERVICES AND HONORS
- 2018: ASHS Extension Division Material Award (Website) for Greenhouse Training Online
- 2018: Contributor to “Light Management in Controlled Environments”, winner of American Society for Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE) Educational Aids Blue Ribbon and the 2018 American Society for Horticultural Science (ASHS) Extension Division Material Award (Book).
- 2017: UF Term Professorship Award for faculty achievement.
- 2017: ASHS Kenneth Post Award for best graduate student research publication in ornamental horticulture by my student Ryan Dickson
- 2017: LEAD21 Leadership for the 21st Century participant sponsored by University of Florida IFAS Extension
- 2017: Member of team winning National Experiment Station Section Excellence in Multistate Research Award
- ADDITIONAL LINKS